The incident is an example of why one shouldn’t let off flares or smoke bombs during a football game.
Bizarre scenes were witnessed at The Hive Stadium as Edgar Davids’ Barnet drew 2-2 against Confernece National league leaders Cambridge United.
A Jack Saville shot deflected from the bar and fell on George Sykes’ feet and the Barnet player obliged by hitting it inside the net. This is painfully late in the match and would have made sure that Barnet got all 3 points against the table toppers.
But it wasn’t to be as the linesman ruled out the goal because he deemed the ball had gone out of the play. The linesman took the decision as he couldn’t see the ball in all the smoke created from the flares behind the goalpost from the home fans.
The linesman and the referee should not be blamed because they probably had to give the decision because nobody could see anything in the smoke.
[youtube id=”IET-W_OvZwo” mode=”normal” align=”center” maxwidth=”540″]