Champions League Twenty20
Popular amongst cricket fans simply as the CL T20, it is a yearly tournament where the top T20 teams from the major cricket nations compete.
The tournament is not organised by the ICC but jointly by the cricket boards of India, Australia and South Africa. As such the participation and entry system into the tournament is not uniform and fair, and is biased towards these countries.
In the Champions League T20 2012, currently on in South Africa, 10 teams are participating.
- India: 4 top IPL teams from India
- Australia: 2 teams from the Big Bash League
- South Africa: 2 teams from the MiWay T20 Challenge
- England: 1 team through qualification
- New Zealand: 1 team through qualification
Though designed on the lines of the UEFA Champions League, it is as yet a poor cousin of its football equivalent. But these are early years yet, and things should correct themselves over time.
CL T20: Past Hosts & Winners
- 2011: Host India. Winner – Mumbai Indians
- 2010: Host South Africa. Winner – Chennai Super Kings
- 2009: Host India. Winner – New South Wales Blues
CL T20: Major Statistics and Records
Highest Team Score:
- Royal Challengers Bangalore 215/8 (20 over) vs South Australia
- Ground: Chinnaswamy Stadium, Bengaluru
- Match Date: 5 October 2011
- David Warner 135 not out vs CSK
- Ground: MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai
- Match Date: 4 October 2011
- Azhar Mahmood: 4-0-24-5 vs Hampshire
- Ground: SuperSport Park, Centurion
- 10 October 2012
Other Major Batting Records ( at least 5 matches)
- Highest Number of Runs: David Warner 535 runs ( 11 Matches, 11 Innings, Average 59.44)
- Highest Average: Jacques Kallis 72.40 (11 Matches, 362 runs)
- Highest Strike Rate: Chris Gayle 178.47 (6 Matches, 257 runs)
Other Major Bowling Records
- Highest Number of Wickets: Dwayne Bravo 21 wickets (13 matches)
- Best Economy Rate: Rangana Herath 4.38 runs per over (5 matches, 79 runs)
Want more CL T20 Trivia. Then you may like to attempt the >> CL T20 Quiz