Though a late entrant to the cricket scene compared to the more established teams such as England, Australia or India, Sri Lanka can now boast of some of the best cricket grounds and facilities in the world. Some of the grounds such as the one in Galle would also rate amongst the most beautiful cricket grounds in the world.
In this section, we will provide you with detailed information on the cricket stadiums in Sri Lanka.
Here is a list of the major cricket grounds in Sri Lanka.
- Asgiriya International Cricket Stadium, Kandy
- Colombo Cricket Club Ground, Colombo
- Galle International Stadium
- Mahinda Rajapaksa International Cricket Stadium, Hambantota
- P Sara Oval, Colombo (formerly Paikiasothy Saravanamuttu Stadium): This was the venue for the first ever Test match that Sri Lanka played. ( Sri Lanka vs England., 1982)
- Pallekele International Cricket Stadium, Pallekele
- R. Premadasa Stadium, Colombo
- Rangiri Dambulla International Stadium, Dambulla
- Sinhalese Sports Club Ground (SSC), Colombo
- Tyronne Fernando Stadium, Moratuwa
The Nondescripts Cricket Club Ground has never hosted an international match, yet it remains one of the important cricket venues of Sri Lanka. The ground has a rich history of producing some of Sri Lanka’s brightest international stars including the current captain, Kumar Sangakkara. The ground will host some of the warm-up matches towards the ICC World T20 2012 that is being hosted by the island nation.
The Bloomfield Cricket and Athletic Club Ground is another such historic venue. The club was founded in 1892, and is a first class team that plays in the premier domestic tournament . The club has won the Premier Trophy eight times (though the trophy itself has been known by various names in the past).