19 December 2012 | Capital One Cup | Elland Road | Kick Off – 19.45
Leeds United and Chelsea share one of the nastiest rivalry in the history of the game and is all set to be reignited as both the teams meet after a break of more than 8 years. Last time these two clubs met was way back in 2004 when Chelsea beat Leeds 1-0 at Stamford Bridge. Chelsea a London club and Leeds, the powerhouse from Yorkshire, are known for their fierce battles. Both the camps are filled with hatred for each other. Everything started after the notorious 1970 FA Cup final. A wrestling match of sorts as challenges went flying.
Back then Leeds’ football firm called as the Service Crew had regular fights with Chelsea’s Headhunters. Of course. Leeds’ rivalry with Manchester United is known worldwide but with Chelsea it’s like an underground affair. The differnce between the two sides currently is bit too much as Chelsea are vying for the Premier League with Leeds not even in the picture for the Championship title.
The current Chelsea side, will know little of this rivalry so Rafa Benitez has given the squad a lesson of sorts about it. Frank Lampard will know of the importance of this fixture and should be a definite start for the match.
Probable Starting Lineups
Leeds United (4-3-3): Kenny, Byram, Lees, Pearce, Drury, Austin, White, Brown, Diouf, Becchio, McCormack
Chelsea (4-2-3-1): Cech, Azpilicueta, Cahill, Luiz, Bertrand, Lampard, Mikel, Moses, Mata, Hazard, Torres
Match Facts & Stats
- Chelsea have never lost a match against Leeds in League Cup matches.
- Leeds United have been tremendous this season, when it comes to clean sheets as their defence has only leaked one goal in the competition.
- At Elland Road, two Premier League clubs in Southampton and Everton have already been knocked out.
- Chelsea have lost twice previously at the same stage they find themselves now.
- Last Championship side to knock out Chelsea was Burnely.
- Chelsea have scored goals at will in their last two Capital One Cup matches against Man Utd and Wolverhampton Wanderers.